Saturday, October 15, 2011

Fall is in The Air!

I haven't been here in a while. I tend to cook the same dishes over and over and feel like I repeat myself. Tonight, I have had several people ask me to post this one (even though I think I have before) so here goes!

I am starting with leftover chicken that I marinated and cooked over a charcoal fire in the summer. It is very similar to the chicken that you buy from this club or that church doing a fundraiser. To thaw the chicken I drop it in a pot (5 or 6 cups) of boiling water. When it is thawed and tender I pull the chicken out, strain the water and simmer it down to about 3 cups. I added 2 pounds of soaked great northern beans and 2 cans of chicken broth. Clean up and chop the chicken. When the beans are close to done, I add 3 or 4 carrots, chopped, 4 or 5 potatoes, chopped, 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 rib of celery, chopped and the chicken. Cover and simmer until done.

I have made this with canned chicken and beans for a very quick supper. Top with sour cream, chives, shredded cheese, what ever sounds good! I usually add Mexican cornbread on the side and everyone here is happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment