Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Oatmeal Bars

For many years my darling husband stopped at the local convenient store for breakfast on his way to work.  Breakfast was a sausage biscuit and a coke.  Very nutritious, I know.  Then last winter I started making these oatmeal bars.  This recipe makes and 8 x 8 pan that I cut into 9 large bars.  He takes one every day (with a coke, I can't get him to quit drinking cokes for breakfast!)  


  • 4 c. dry oats (old-fashioned or quick cooking)
  • 1 1/2 c. flour
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 3/4 – 1 c. canola oil or an equal amount of applesauce
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 c. chocolate chips
  • 1/2-1 cup chopped nuts, shredded coconut, or peanut butter just to make this different from time to time.
Everything into a bowl, mix well, press into a greased pan and bake at 350 for 25 minutes or so.  

I package them individually and refrigerate them.  Then before he leaves each morning, I microwave one for 15-20 seconds and send him out the door with something reasonably healthy for breakfast. 

By the way, as soon as I find the cable to connect my camera to my computer, I have a picture of these.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment