Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Country Supper, Bean Soup and Cornbread

I haven't been here in a while, have you missed me?  I wasn't sure anyone was reading these posts but lately I have had a few comments from people who missed them.  So here I am again.

Tonight I am making a favorite of my husband's.  He calls it a poor man's supper.  White beans and potatoes with ham.  

Soak a pound of great northern beans overnight in a large bowl, or follow the quick soak directions on the package.  You can use an equivalent amount of canned beans, but we prefer dried.  Rinse the soaked beans and pour them into your slow cooker.  Add 2 quarts of water, 2 chicken bullion cubes, a garlic clove (smashed or chopped), onion to taste, a bay leaf, 4 or 5 potatoes, peeled and cubed,  and about 1/4 pound of ham, chopped.  Salt and pepper to taste and set your slow cooker to high and go to work.  Supper will be waiting when you get home.  

When I make this, I usually set my slow cooker in the sink because it makes a terrible mess if it boils over.

We like this topped with hot sauce or corn relish and a sprinkle of shredded cheese and served with corn bread.  

Let me know if you want me to pick this hobby back up.  It might take a bit to get back into the habit, but if you want to read my ramblings, I will write them.

On a side note, I found this recipe that my baby girl and I thought looked yummy too.  Kale and White bean soup

No comments:

Post a Comment