Sunday, June 13, 2010

Too Hot to Cook (inside)

The heat index yesterday was 103. Today is supposed to be similar, so we are holed up in a dim house, all the curtains and blinds closed to keep out the heat, pondering what to fix for supper.

My kids have been begging for pizza, so this morning at the grocery I bought a couple pre-baked pizza crusts. When I am ready to fix supper, I will preheat my grill, brush both sides of the crust with olive oil and grill the top for a few minutes (till it has grill marks on it). Turn the crust over and top with sauce, whatever toppings you like (we will have sausage, pepperoni, Canadian bacon, fresh from the garden bell peppers and tomatoes and black olives on ours) and cheese. Turn the heat down to low. Close the grill, but check on the pizza every few minutes. It may not brown quite like a pizza in the oven, but when the cheese is melted and bubbly and everything is hot, it is ready.

Pizza on the grill is a great way to keep from heating up the house on a hot summer day.

I will also grill some squash (just because I have it on hand) to go with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment