Thursday, December 9, 2010

EEEWWW!!! Brussel Sprouts!

Tonight I was lazy! I had some leftover chili in the freezer, thawed it out and made chili dogs, tater tots with bacon and cheese and Brussels sprouts. The sprouts are a favorite of mine (and one child) and I bought a big bag of fresh ones. I guess we will eat them every night until they are gone. Tonight I caramelized them with toasted pecans.

Melt a tablespoon or so of butter in a heavy skillet and add about 1/4 cup chopped onions. Let the onions cook until clear, then add 1/4 cup slivered nuts (I used pecans, but almonds, pistachios, almost anything would work). While the onions caramelize, steam the cleaned and halved sprout (frozen will work fine for this too) til nearly done. When the onions have begun browning and the nuts are toasty, add the sprouts and 2 T sugar, and cook till everything is nicely brown. Finish with about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and serve. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment