Friday, April 30, 2010

Ribs!

My son has been craving ribs for some time. He has asked for them repeatedly and I just haven't had time. I found a big slab of St. Louis style ribs on sale at the grocery this week and am cooking them for him tonight. I will start out with a rub made by combining about a cup of brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon each thyme, black pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Rub this into the ribs and put them in the crock pot with just a little water in the bottom. Let them cook on high for about 5 hours. Then set them out of the crock pot and let cool a bit. I like to finish them on the grill for the flavor. Of course, any bottled barbecue sauce would be wonderful on these, but I have a recipe for a homemade sauce that we like.

1 c ketchup, 1 c red wine (or cider) vinegar, 1/2 c brown sugar, 1/4 c molasses (I use sorghum but honey works too)1 1/2 t liquid smoke, 1/4 t pepper, 1/4 t garlic powder, 1/4 t onion powder. Combine all ingredients in a pan over high heat, whisk until smooth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and let cook 30-40 minutes, until thick. Use like you would any barbecue sauce. Happy grilling!

No comments:

Post a Comment