Monday, August 3, 2009

The Beginning of the End

It is Monday morning, the last full week before school starts. I guess we will be trying to jam everything we haven't done yet this summer into this week. Because I know how busy we will be this week, I am going to try to get a little more bang for my buck out of supper tonight. I have a very large roast to go in the crock pot this morning. When I get home I will slice some of it for roast beef sandwiches. The rest I will save for tomorrow night.

Heat butter or oil in a skillet and add a slice of onion. Salt and pepper the roast and brown well in the hot skillet. Move the roast to the crock pot and stir some liquid into the pan to get all the brown bits of yummy flavor (water, broth, whatever) and pour the liquid into the crock pot, too. Add a clove of garlic, a bay leaf and some Italian seasoning to the crock pot and turn on low all day (8-10) hours.

When you are ready to eat, allow the roast to rest on a plate for 10 minutes, slice and serve. I like this on hoagie rolls. It is also good open faced with gravy on top.

Fries and a salad or cole slaw round this meal out and tomorrow we will do something different with the left overs.

No comments:

Post a Comment