Saturday, August 29, 2009

One for the Hunters

I don't know what I am fixing for supper for me or the kids, but occasionally I am required to cook something my husband has hunted. Because the hunting seasons he enjoys are beginning to open, I will be posting a few recipes for game . So, here is my recipe for squirrel and dumplings for all the hunters out there. (Not that I think a lot of hunters read my ravings).

Because he bagged 3 yesterday, I will start with 3 squirrels, cut up, in the crock pot with water, salt, pepper, a chicken bullion cube, 4-5 sprigs each of rosemary and thyme, and a clove of garlic. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Whoever hunts the little rodents gets to clean up the meat because squirrels have lots of tiny, tiny bones that are hard to find. When the meat is cooked and cleaned, chop and set aside. Strain the broth it cooked in, and pour into a large pan with a tight fitting lid and bring to a boil.

For the dumplings, 2 cups of flour, 4 T butter, cut into the flour, enough milk to make a thick dough. Drop by spoonfuls into the boiling broth, reduce heat to a simmer and cover, for 20 minutes. Stir in the meat and serve.

If you can get past the idea that it is squirrel, it really does taste like chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment