Sunday, August 16, 2009

Spaghetti!

Yesterday I pick a bucket of tomatoes in the garden. I have juiced, sauced, canned and frozen all the tomatoes I need for the winter so I am going to use these to make spaghetti sauce for supper tonight. It is a little work, but no more that doing the tomatoes for the winter and we get to enjoy them tonight.

I start by blanching about 10 pounds of tomatoes in boiling water for 3 minutes, then into the sink full of cold water and ice. The skins slip right off. Core, seed and and chop and add to a large pot. I am using a Ball marinara mix as a base, and adding to it about a cup (a couple tablespoons each if you are using dried) each of fresh chopped oregano and basil, a couple cloves of garlic, 1/4-1/2 cup onion, finely chopped and 3/4-1 cup red wine. I also like to add a can of tomato paste, it just adds a little something to the sauce. Let this simmer and reduce for several hours, stirring occasionally and proceed as you would to make spaghetti. You can freeze whatever sauce is left over, with or without meat, for supper another night.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment